3 minutes reading time
Vacancy - South London Stags RFC - Assistant Coach
As the South London Stags enter its second year, we are excited to move towards a more competitive game, whilst remaining inclusive, no pressure, and developing in our training. With this in mind we are seeking an Assistant Coach to be part of our journey.
The SLS is an inclusive rugby club, affiliated with the IGR (International Gay Rugby) and Surrey Rugby. We provide a friendly and relaxed environment for South London's LGBTQ+ community and are inclusive of all.
We train on Saturday afternoon, and as part of the IGR South Eastern League have match days on Saturdays (approx 7 games per season). We welcome new players throughout the season and have a newly starting Touch team. We also play friendly matches locally and nationally and take part in national IGR competitions (7s, 10s, Touch) and in 2021 will be taking part in a European wide competition for IGR clubs held in Birmingham.
Training is held at Poulter Park, Morden.
As a Coach for the South London Stags RFC you will work closely with the Head Coach to deliver, plan, and lead training sessions. You will work with and support the Head Coach and Club Captain to develop the members of the Club providing skills development for the experienced and inexperienced. The Assistant Coach is also pivotal, in collaboration with the Head Coach and Club Captain, to develop a 'game plan' with particular emphasis on 'backs' play.
The fundamental role of the Assistant Coach is to execute training to develop the skills of all members by:
- Delivering training sessions/programmes to support a focus on skills development areas needed for each training session as well as leading up to matches. This should include tactics and techniques, especially within the role of the 'backs'.
- Ensuring that all members can engage in the training session to develop as experienced or inexperienced members and grow in confidence and skill
- Support and plan 'the game plan' with particular focus on 'backs' work alongside the Head Coach and Club Captain
- Assess ability of players to support deployment and positioning of players for training and matches utilising the coaches to support further development
- To monitor and provide regular constructive feedback to Club members on their development and key areas to focus on
- To be open to and responsive to feedback from club members and the Committee on the needs and development areas of the Club
- Be a positive ambassador for the club at all times
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- England Rugby Coaching Award (Level 2 or above)
- Confident and experienced in planning and coordinating training sessions for experienced and inexperienced rugby players as well as an inclusive club.
- Confident use of verbal communication to provide constructive feedback and guidance.
- Confident at planning and executing game strategy and player positioning.
- Experience at coaching specific backs skills.
- Experience of rugby 'game play' either professional, semi professional or amateur in a 'backs' position.
This will be a voluntary role and expenses for travel will be reimbursed with valid receipt.
Applicants should send an expression of interest and coaching/rugby CV to: SLStagsRFC@gmail.com Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend a training session for interview. Recruitment will cease once appropriate candidate has been selected.