Surrey Rugby
Surrey Rugby Facebook link Surrey Rugby Twitter link Surrey Rugby Instagram link Surrey Rugby Linkedin link

County Championship ….. Cornwall 32 pts v Surrey 14 pts

Current Champions Cornwall began this game unbeaten so far this season and in front of a large passionate crowd at Camborne RFC, they eventually pulled away in the last quarter against a gallant Surrey side and confirmed their appearance in another Senior County Championship Final at Twickenham.

Sadly with no wins in this first season in the highest tier of County Rugby Surrey will be relegated back to the second division. Nevertheless, they have at times played with great flair and promise and given many anxious moments to their opponents, despite coming up short in all three games. 

The home side started in the ascendancy when Fijian International No8 Sam Matavesi – who was the driving force behind most of Cornwall’s attacks burst through a gap and fed centre Neilson Webber who scored the opening try, but the conversion was missed.

However Surrey quickly hit back when No 8 Harry Rowland offloaded superbly to Matt Noble, who ran in for a try unopposed. Again the conversion was missed so the score was tied at 5-5.

Cornwall now upped the tempo and first full back Matt Shepherd kicked a penalty goal, then fly half Billy Searle added a try, which Shepherd converted and the home side were 13-5 ahead. Soon afterwards Searle scored his second try and Shepherd converted again to put the home side firmly in the driving seat, leading 20-5.

Surrey then began to fight back with two penalties, one from Noble and one from the half way line by full back Ollie Turner, to reach half time with the score 20-11 to Cornwall.

The visitors began the second period with lots of pressure and Noble added another penalty goal, to bring Surrey ever nearer at 20-14.

The home side approaching mid way through the second half then began to turn the screw and after another storming run by No 8 Matavesi, Searle was able to finish off the break with his third try. Despite a brave effort and some storming pressure from Surrey, it was Cornwall who added the final score when Lewis Webb scored a try, to bring the game to a close and a slightly flattering 32 -14 win for Cornwall.

 Surrey:15 Ollie Turner (L.Irish WG, 14 Benji Marfo (Dorking), 13 Ed Carne (Dorking), 12 Sean Cunningham (L.Irish WG), 11 Karyim Irving (Dorking),10 Matt Noble (Dorking), 9 Mikey Mcdonald (L.Scottish), 1 Charlie Connor, 2 Matt Cornish (both L.Irish WG), 3 Cameron Zeiss (Esher), 4 Ian Kench (Captain)(Esher), 5 Dylan Flashman (Wimbledon), 6 Darren Livett (L.Irish WG), 7 Harry Elbrow (Dorking), 8 Harry Rowland (Rosslyn Park).

Replacements:  Dalton (, Suvwe Obano (Dorking), Ted Lee (Dorking), James Hunt (Wimbledon), Will Crow (Rosslyn Park), Ryan Jeffery (Dorking ), Jordan Gott (L.Irish WG)