Surrey Rugby
Surrey Rugby Facebook link Surrey Rugby Twitter link Surrey Rugby Instagram link Surrey Rugby Linkedin link

All the latest results from Surrey Finals Day 2015!

Surrey Bowl Final
Merton RFC 12 pts v Reigate RFC 3 pts

Merton had to amazingly survive 2 red cards and 3 yellow cards, but still had the grit and determination to overcome a gallant Reigate side.

With flanker John Bocking prominent in the early stages, Reigate narrowly missed two early penalty chances. At his third attempt, fly half Simon Mills kicked Reigate ahead with a penalty goal.

Back stormed Merton and after several phases and a good driving maul, lively No 8 Simon Appleby drove over for a try. Harry Jones added the conversion points to put Merton 7-3 ahead.

Reigate then received a huge boost when Merton lost both flanker Mike Wilkinson and hooker Gareth Bench close together, for separate ruck offences. Nevertheless, Merton continued to tackle ferociously and kept Reigate at bay. Half time arrived with Merton still 7-3 in front.

Despite starting the second period still a man down, Merton then quickly lost lock Neil Quinn with injury and he was replaced by George Hart.

Reigate continued to battle away, but Merton seemed more threatening and after a fortunate bounce from a charged down drop goal attempt, Centre Rob Bell zig zagged his way through the Reigate defence to touch down under the posts. Jones conversion attempt from in front of the sticks, clipped a post and missed. Following an unfortunate spectator incident, a Merton member was then red carded.

With the game moving into its last quarter, Merton’s Appleby was also red carded for an alleged dangerous tackle, after a long consultation between the officials. Soon afterwards, flanker Dan Ward received a yellow card for killing the ball, but Merton’s tremendous tackling and team spirit saw them hold on for a deserved victory.

Merton: 15 Mike Garnett, 14 Kyle Bowes-Taylor, 13 Ed Whitten, 12 Rob Bell, 11 Tom Rattray, 10 Harry Jones, 9 Blommie Kilian, 1 Shaun Angell, 2 Gareth Bench, 3 Danny Mc Laughlin, 4 Rohan Maritz, 5 Neil Quinn, 6 Mike Wilkinson, 7 Dan Ward, 8 Simon Appleby

Replacements: Laurence Griffiths, George Hart, Chris Davis, Adam Cheek, Jason Newell, Liam Hayhoe, John Scully

Reigate: 15 Andy Edwards, 14 James Bonny, 13 Oliver Fitzgerald, 12 Ed Fyfe, 11 Rory Diggle, 10 Sam Mills, 9 Tom Harris, 1 Oli Duajardin, 2 Wes Parker, 3 Russell Gould, 4 Peter Kirk, 5 Nick Nelson, 6 Alistair Hall, 7 John Bocking, 8 George Daniels
Replacements: Sebastien Dujardin, Dave Perry, Barry Ridler, Nick Glanville, Robert Thorn, Tom Street, Simon Santos


Surrey Cup Final
Guildford RFC 22 pts v KCS Old Boys RFC 19 pts

KCS started in positive mood and sped into an early lead when wing Joey Sherlock scored the opening try. With their tails up another spate of slick handling in the backs brought the second KCS try for full back Will Nelson. Fly half Rory Jones added the conversion to increase the lead to 12-0.

Most of the remainder of the half saw end to end attacks, but it was KCS who continued to look more dangerous. With the interval looming, KCS hooker Harry Wakefield created an overlap and wing Tom Smith scored his side’s third try. Jones added the conversion points to reach the half time score of 19-0 to KCS.

The second period saw Guildford ring the changes to personnel and the Old Boys had prop Brett Williams yellow carded for a scrum offence. During this period, Guildford grabbed their first try through No 8 Ross Brooker.

Although KCS continued to look threatening on the break and were playing with determination and great confidence, Guildford continued to grow into the game and scored their second try, again scored by Brooker, which was converted by George Hutchins to edge his side nearer.
The penalty count against KCS began to soar and fellow prop Josh Brown was also yellow carded for another dubious scrum offence.

After a continual battering and a stream of penalties awarded against them, Guildford were awarded a late penalty try, which was converted to bring the game to deadlock at 19-19, at the final whistle.

Faced with a sudden death scenario, extra time began and after eight minutes, Guildford were awarded yet another penalty and up stepped Captain centre Jarred Adam to slot over the match winning penalty from 45 metres to clinch victory for Guildford and to break KCS hearts.

KCS Old Boys: 15 Will Nelson, 14 Tom Smith, 13 Luke Minors, 12 George Taylor, 11 Joey Sherlock, 10 Rory Jones, 9 Will Slater, 1 Josh Brown, 2 Harry Wakefield, 3 Brett Williams, 4 James Currie, 5 Sam Hitchings, 6 Sam Young, 7 Barry Williams, 8 Alex Hunphries.
Replacements: Ben Welham, John Walton, Jack Denison, Chris Breslin, Harrison Scowsill, Duncan Peters, Jonathan Kiddle

Guildford: 15 Alex Jordan, 14 Alex Gee, 13 Rory Andrews, 12 Jarred Adam, 11 Stu Phillips, 10 George Hutchins, 9 Tom Gill; 1 James Reed, 2 Harry Phillips, 3 Bill Mairs, 4 Tom Roaf, 5 Kris Mannering, 6 Ben Holden, 7 Darren Bell, 8 Ross Brooker

Replacements: Alex Plaistowe, Jason Gardner, Nickie Power, Josh Roux de Buisson, Stu Fee

Surrey Cup Shield
Battersea Ironsides RFC 26 pts v Camberley RFC 20 pts

Following on from their previous day’s victory at Twickenham, when they defeated Northallerton to win the RFU Junior Vase Cup, Battersea Ironsides accompanied by a large vocal support, put out virtually an entirely different team from the day before.

Showing the depth of talent in their Club, Ironsides came prepared for another tense battle against their bitter rivals Camberley, who they had battled for ‘top spot’ in Surrey One all season. Ironsides had eventually ended up as number one and had already gained promotion.

Nevertheless it was Camberley who took the lead through a penalty goal from fly half Tom Dunn. Back came Ironsides and as their pack turned the screw, wing Tyson Peters kicked three quick penalty goals to push his side 9-3 ahead.

Back came Camberley and they scored a try in the corner by flanker Jono Elvin, which was converted by Dunn to ease them into a slender one point lead. Irons dug deep and having lost lock Conor Gaul with injury, which saw Shannon Millard on as his replacement, they put together some good phases of rugby. After a sustained period of pressure, Ironsides wing Peters raced away for a try in the corner. Then as Camberley defended desperately, Ironsides were awarded a penalty try which Peters converted, to put his side 21 -10 ahead.

The second half saw the game to continue to seesaw end to end, as Camberley battled to get back into the game. Then Irons pounced again when replacement Jamie Absalom scooped up a kick ahead and raced over for his side’s third try.

Camberley were now throwing everything at Battersea in an effort to claw their way back into the game and as Irons defended desperately, their scrum half was yellow carded. With a one man advantage, Camberley flanker Elvin grabbed his second try of the match, which again Dunn converted. Before long, hooker Dylan Emerton drove over for another Camberley try and narrowed the scoreline to 26 -20 in favour of Ironsides.

The last quarter saw Camberley centre Alex Hughes get yellow carded and soon after Battersea had a second player receive a yellow card. With the end drawing nigh, Camberley flanker Elvin was sent off after punching an Ironsides player in open play and so Battersea held on to win their second trophy in two days and bring a remarkably successful 15 a side season to a close.

Battersea Ironsides: 15 Joe Whitehouse, 14 Andrew Thomas-Richards, 13 Tom Breen, 12 Ash Hallett, 11 Tyson Peters, 10 Paddy Flynn, 9 James Pay; 1 Vitor Freitas, 2 Charles Robinson, 3 Ian Dodge, 4 Conor Gaul, 5 Jamie Absalom, 6 Dave Manning, 7 Jonathan Kirwin, 8 Jack Haines

Replacements: Mick Crowley, Nigel Ratcliffe, Pat Conlon, Shannon Millard, Will Northover, , Danny Nukajam, Chris Dixon, Justin Viljoen, Ben Shaw, Richard Melton

Camberley: 15 Will O Meara, 14 Chris Bird, 13 Alex Hughes, 12 Joe Wood, 11 Phil Creswell, 10 Tom Dunn, 9 Roger Wood; 1 Max Fiddimore, 2 Dylan Emerton, 3 Jeff Pritchard, 4 Tom Keith, 5 Sam Voight, 6 Josh Watson, 7 Jono Elvin, 8 Alex Gould

Replacements: Mac Duaibe, Dylan Everton, Greg Simmonds, Roger Wood, Phil Andrews, Gideon Green, Gareth Wedgewood