Surrey Rugby
Surrey Rugby Facebook link Surrey Rugby Twitter link Surrey Rugby Instagram link Surrey Rugby Linkedin link

Surrey 59 pts v Somerset 33 pts

Somerset started off in positive mood and took the game to their opponents. Both sides were penalised for early scrum infringements and then after 8 minutes, Surrey scrum half Will Crow pounced for the first try. Centre Matt Noble added the conversion to put the home side 7-0 up.

Within 5 minutes, flanker Harry Watts scored Surrey’s second try after some slick handling by the backs. Again Noble added the conversion.

Then after a period of sustained pressure, Somerset grabbed their first points with a try by centre Kieran Norris, which was converted by full back Joe Hall, to bring the score to 14-7 to Surrey.

Back bounced the home team when a neat pass by lock Armand Roux, sent fly half Cameron Pitlow under the posts, for Surrey’s third try. Noble again added the conversion.

With half time approaching, the visitors scored a lovely try when scrum half Conor Littlewood went over after good work by wing Ali Taylor. Hall added the conversion points, to bring the interval score to 21 -14 to Surrey.

Surrey began the second half with replacement prop Seun Olayanju, on for Charlie Connor. After only 7 minutes of the second period, Surrey lock Elliot Awin who was lively throughout, drove over for the next try. Noble converted the try, to ease Surrey into a 28-14 lead. With captain Armand Roux constantly driving his troops on and always at the heart of everything for the home side, scrum half Crow pounced for his second try, which Noble yet again converted.

Gritty play by Somerset saw wing Nick Mason pull back a try for the visitors, which Hall once again converted to narrow the scoreline to 35-21, in favour of Surrey.

A great drive by Roux then saw him drive over for Surrey’s sixth try of the afternoon, while Noble put over the conversion. Soon afterwards, Watts nabbed his second try for Surrey, after good work by Ted Lee and with Noble successfully adding the conversion, Surrey were 49-21 in the lead.

Someset replacement hooker John Gatford then pounced with a further try for the visitors.

Surrey replacement flanker Ian White then received a yellow card and shortly afterwards, Mason grabbed his second try for Somerset, While Hall converted to narrow the score to 49-33 to Surrey.

In the last six minutes of time remaining, Surrey full back Matt Betty and replacement wing James Faaatuatu added further tries, to reach a final scoreline of 59 -33 to Surrey.

Surrey: 15 Matt Betty (East Grinstead RFC), 14 Mike Terelak (Dorking RFC), 13 Matt Noble (Dorking RFC), 12 Sean Cunningham (London Irish Wild Geese), 11 Oli Turner (London Irish Wild Geese), 10 Cameron Pimlow (Dorking RFC), 9 Will Crow (Dorking RFC), 1 Ed Scott-Bowden (Barnes RFC), 2 James Catton (Dorking RFC), 3 Charlie Connor (London Irish Wild Geese), 4 Armand Roux CAPTAIN (Dorking RFC), 5 Elliot Awin (Dorking RFC), 6 Oli Edwards (Dorking RFC), 7 Harry Watts (Dorking RFC), 8 Ted Lee (Dorking RFC)

Replacements: 16 Sam Johnson (Dorking RFC), 17 Seun Olayanju (Dorking RFC), 18 Ian White (Dorking RFC), 19 Harry Elbrow (Esher RFC), 20 Tom Eastham (London Irish Wild Geese), 21 Ben Kitching (London Irish Wild Geese), 22 James Faaatuatu (East Grinstead RFC)

Surrey now head off to Devon next week and Okehampton RFC in pole position, for winning this group and hopefully qualifying for the next stage.